.

And by a prudent flight and cunning save A life which valour could not, from the grave. A better buckler I can soon regain, But who can get another life again? Archilochus

Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Furious Activity

Be patient in misfortune, my soul, for all thou art suffering the intolerable; 'tis sure the heart of the baser sort is quicker to wrath. Be not heavy, thou, with pain and anger over deeds which cannot be done, nor be thou vexed thereat, nor grieve thy friends nor glad thy foes. Not easily shall mortal man escape the destined gifts of the Gods, neither if he sink to the bottom of the purple sea, nor when he be held in murky Tartarus.
- Theognis of Megara (1029-1036)

4 comments:

Always On Watch said...

That's good advice.

But being patient isn't one of my strengths. I'm more patient than I used to be. The result of aging?

Thersites said...

I suspect that Theognis had suffered more than one setback during his lifetime.

Always On Watch said...

FJ,
Stopping by to wish you Happy New Year!

I suspect that the blogosphere will ramp up with even more contentiousness as we slouch toward election day in November 2012. Now, if Obama loses, things should calm down in many of the corners I frequent. I hope so!

Enough blabbing. Mr. AOW and I are having company this afternoon, so I need to straighten up the house a bit.

Thersites said...

Thanks for stopping by. I'm a Lille sick of all the Republican infighting. I look forward to the end of the primary season. With any luck, the race will set up with a clear front runner soon.