.

And by a prudent flight and cunning save A life which valour could not, from the grave. A better buckler I can soon regain, But who can get another life again? Archilochus

Saturday, October 8, 2016

What's in the Hopper?

Edward Hopper, "A Woman in the Sun" (1961)
Edward Hopper, "Cobb's Barns, South Truro 1930-1933"

---

The shed behind the barn behind the red cottage I wait


for her in the fescue grass the rye I hear it grow over me


Wait for my friends in the distance on fire their full heads


of rust (I love how the clothing drips off them I hear myself say)


If the beekeeper doesn’t come chasing behind with a hatchet


I’ll wait behind Cobb’s barn watching the distant houses


She will come down this road my shadow is paving for her


a stalk of honey and the rye grass grows from her arms


(She was raised in these hills looking down on Elk Creek)


and behind her the bluegrass it’s reaching to touch her ankle
- Danniel Schoonebeek, "A Woman in the Sun"
Edward Hopper, "Burly Cobb's House, South Truro 1930-1933"

No comments: