.

And by a prudent flight and cunning save A life which valour could not, from the grave. A better buckler I can soon regain, But who can get another life again? Archilochus

Sunday, February 9, 2014

Common vs Individual Forms...

Common Knowledge

I've never been asked how many letters there are in the alphabet.
I could count, but offhand the answer does not spring to mind.
"It's common knowledge!" They say, but it doesn't stick.

I've never been asked how many days are in each month.
I could do the trick on the knuckles, but I never learnt how.
"It's common knowledge!" They shout, but it doesn't stick.

I've never been asked how many times six goes into forty-two,
I never was good at maths.
"It's common knowledge!" They yell, but it doesn't stick.

I've never been asked how many times I've been put down,
I've never been asked how many times I've come home crying,
I've never been asked to say what a fat person looks like,
but I can hear the words, and I can feel the tears, and I can look at myself in the mirror.

It's not common knowledge, but it sticks.
- Anna

No comments: