.

And by a prudent flight and cunning save A life which valour could not, from the grave. A better buckler I can soon regain, But who can get another life again? Archilochus

Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Ascendance

The tree has entered my hands,
The sap has ascended my arms,
The tree has grown in my breast -
Downward,
The branches grow out of me, like arms.

Tree you are,
Moss you are,
You are violets with wind above them.
A child - so high - you are,
And all this is folly to the world.
- Ezra Pound, "A Girl"

3 comments:

FreeThinke said...

Sting is an extraordinarily gifted man of many parts. One of very few who manages to bridge the enormous gap between Rock and Classical music. I'll never forget his wonderful narration of Prokofiev's Peter and the Wolf with whimsical puppets and Claudio Abbado conducting the orchestra.

I don't understand, however, why this video didn't really begin until halfway through. All that semi-cryptic stuff showing confusion in a rehearsal hall and setting up exercises at too close a range is a sure fire way to lose an audience. It requires too much patience, and seems pretty meaningless.

Sorry, but poetic though I, myself, may be, I've never been able to relate well to Ezra Pound. Hearing him read his own stuff many years ago revealed him to be a rather dismal chap.

The ballerina is highly competent, but the show really belpngs to Sting. He does have star power that's for sure.

Thersites said...

I agree with you that the intro was far too long.

On the subject of Pound, I'll just have to agree to disagree.

-FJ the Dangerous and Extreme MAGA Jew said...

Here's another half a Pound. ;)