.

And by a prudent flight and cunning save A life which valour could not, from the grave. A better buckler I can soon regain, But who can get another life again? Archilochus

Sunday, August 30, 2026

NS Savannah: Technological White Elephant

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

;-p

-FJ the Dangerous and Extreme MAGA Jew said...

My computer died this morning. No longer boots up. I'm using my wife's machine now. ;(

Anonymous said...

Starts humming? Shows some messages?

If no reaction to switch on -- must be power.
if powers and shows something on-screen -- might be hard drive.

Yawn.

Anonymous said...

I in my life seen no comp that just died.

Either some bad use/misuse. Physical damage.

Or, something fixable. This way or another.

But most usual -- becoming obsolete. Yawn.

I have a separate corner where all my previous comps reside.

Most probably, all will swith on and start again at where they stopped...

but -- for what?

-FJ the Dangerous and Extreme MAGA Jew said...

It's power. I told you about the battery problem... now it can't get past the Windows sign-in. It's toast.

Anonymous said...

It must work without battery just OK.
Well, you will not be able to move it around. But still, it should be perfectly work as desktop.

But that that " it can't get past the Windows sign-in"

looks enigmatic. It's possible that M$ just "updated" it that way.

To force you to buy new one. Yawn.

Anonymous said...

To say somethung more...

or, you just as it yourself frim Google/GPT or whatever.

Like " it can't get past the Windows sign-in... what's the reason"

Anonymous said...

I could propose to buy a pen/thumb/flash drive... or what name you call there.

Install on it some Linux (there is quite a number, evenlokking like windows.

That is most syure way to check if your comp still work and/ir troubleshut it.

Also, that is much more secure way to roam through Internet

Especially if that is most of what you need, do with comps. ;-p

-FJ the Dangerous and Extreme MAGA Jew said...

I'll just keep using my wife's computer... I just need to buy a mouse. This one doesn't have a touch screen. :(

Anonymous said...

Strange.

Don't remember seeing one without...

-FJ the Dangerous and Extreme MAGA Jew said...

Fads...

-FJ the Dangerous and Extreme MAGA Jew said...

It's the "halting problem"... Windoes loads "forever"

Anonymous said...

Then... booting from flash drive and finding out what caused it.

Yawn.

Usual task for any sysadmin

Anonymous said...

Or.,. just booting from flash drive

and working. ;-p

-FJ the Dangerous and Extreme MAGA Jew said...

Windows 10 is still supported? Who knew?